Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Another good read from the Phoeb!


Phoebe has a pretty good record of directing me to books I enjoy. The only one I can think of in recent memory that just did not engage me was Velva Jean Learns to Drive - and I actually enjoyed the first half of it!

I needed a book for the plane ride last Saturday, and I had seen it on the sidebar of her blog, so I gave it a whirl. Turned out to be a great choice. The book kept me engaged, even during our ridiculous delay returning Saturday night.

One reviewer said that Helen Simonson is a "modern day Jane Austen," and that Major Pettigrew's Last Stand was a "charming comedy of manners."

I think I have to agree with them. Maybe you will too!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I enjoyed this one too.

Janelle said...

Can't wait to give it a try!

Eliza said...

I thought it was a fun read as well. Made me think of something you'd see on masterpiece theater.

Alice said...

I will have to buy the book. I am always looking for good books to read.

Phoebe said...

Glad you enjoyed it!