Sunday, March 06, 2011

More Sewing Accompaniment


I've been making aprons again - it's that time of year - and I have borrowed some DVD's from Donna to accompany me as I do so.

I know I saw this movie when it first came out. And I know the band teacher at our school shows it every year. But I hadn't seen it since the first time I saw it. And the first time I saw it, I was not working as a teacher. I was a sub, but didn't have my own classroom.

That factor changed my perception of the film this time. For starters, I've never seen such a well equipped music room in my life - but then we only have a band, not an orchestra - or music appreciation for that matter. Secondly, there really were no "behavior" problems for Mr. Holland to deal with. Even the best teachers at our school have kids that are pretty disruptive. And finally, Mr. Holland didn't have to deal with NCLB.* That factor alone makes a huge difference.

But I did like the film very much. I always like a "feel good" movie - especially one with some great Gershwin tunes in it - and "Beautiful Boy." And I liked the P.E. teacher's persona. They captured the essence of most of the P.E. teachers I've worked with. I also liked how it scrolled through history - history I remember - like Vietnam, Nixon's resignation, Lennon's death, and popular culture too.

I may have to get my own copy for future sewing projects!

*No Child Left Behind

No comments: