Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Camelot Years

At Dorothy's funeral, an old friend, who also used to live in Monrovia, was one of the speakers. Her theme was "The Camelot Years." She went over all the things we used to do as young wives and mothers. She related it all to different aspects of Dorothy's life, but it brought back a lot of memeories.

My thought was that we need to cherish the moment - whatever moment it is. I reflect often on the past and enjoy getting together with old friends, but there is a present too, and I realize now that I need to preserve it also.

Another thought that came to me happened as we went into the viewing. Dorothy's son and his wife, the parents of little Jacob who drowned, were standing there. Sue hugged her and seemed to know what to say - or at least how long to hug her! I could only say, "I'm so sorry."

As we left the room, I said to Sue, "I am a woman of words. I value words. I love words. I think that words are the medium of choice. But right now, words fail me. There are no words to say right now."

Then today during Sacrament meeting, it came to me that there are many times when words fail us - and that is when we need to rely on the spirit - because the spirit can say what words can't say.

It has been an instructive weekend.

2 comments:

Karen said...

You're right. We should enjoy the present moment. I'm not always great at this but I do try to enjoy what is happening now. Not spending too much time looking to the future, or the past. Thanks for the post Barbara.

D. Scott said...

Ditto