Monday, January 29, 2007

The Birth of a Mother


I've been home for almost a week now - and had intended to write this post when I first got home. In fact, I thought about it while waiting for my plane. But life happens when you get home. And this week my life included a few major events like a women's conference, some pivotal IEP meetings and an articulation meeting with the elementary RSP teachers.

But today was an inservice day, so even though I had to go to work, I didn't have to deal with students. That makes life easier! And I thought some more about this post.

What started me thinking today was thinking about Ara's upcoming 10th birthday! Ara made me a grandmother, so I thought about how Bonny made me a mom. There is a process that goes on - and if you are careful and thoughtful, you can see it happening.

I think when Bonny was born, I was overwhelmed by all the tactile forces that come with motherhood. Like Olga Coleman used to say, "I feel like a sponge!" By the time my body got back to normal, I had an infant to care for, so there wasn't a lot of time for reflection. And then motherhood just marched on, and I just took it as it came.

I was so excited to be a grandma and there was lots to do caring for Bonny and Ara - and Bruce too I suppose, although he is pretty self-sufficient. It was the kind of "lots to do" that you love doing. We read and talked and took care of Ara - and snatched naps whenever we could. We weren't too philosophical.

When I came with Ella, Ara was a toddler who needed a lot of time and attention, so we certainly didn't sit around feeling philosophical.

When Henry was born, the emergency c-section added an element of urgency to the situation. Phoebe was a trooper, but she needed to heal, along with all the other stuff that comes with first time motherhood. Needless to say, we didn't spend much time being philosophical.

This time around though, with Eliza, I found myself reflecting on the process of becoming a mother. I noticed many things that either didn't happen with the other girls, or they happened and I didn't notice. For one thing, Matt and I kept trying to get Eliza in to nap - and she resisted. Finally she said, "I don't want to go in the bedroom alone while you're all out here with Theo."

A light bulb went on in my head. This was a mom who had been denied some of the "bonding" moments because of her surgery. She hadn't even changed Theo until he was nearly a week old. She wanted to be with him - not off in the room resting without him. This was a mother coming into being.

And when I started seeing these feelings at play, it became easier to know what to do and say. And it afforded me the opportunity to truly observe the love and devotion Eliza was ready to give this wonderful little boy.

The birth of a mother is really almost as miraculous as the birth of a baby.

7 comments:

Alice said...

You are so right. Even when you are mother to more than 9 babies, each one is as special as the first and the feelings are as unique as they were the first time. I have not been able to be with my daughters when they had their first children, something that I mourn but that couldn't be helped. However, with 5 daugthers and only 2 of them with children, I am hopeful that I will be able to be there for at least a couple of the their first children. The Foreign Service will only be for 7 more years and with living in LaPaz (which is a little closer) who knows what will happen. I do appreciate your thought provoking post. Truly a mother was born each time we participated in the wonderful miracle called 'birth'.

Karen said...

Becoming a mother is such a life changing thing. And it is amazing to see the changes we and those around us go through as we become mothers.
And I agree with Alice. Each baby is just as special and unique as the first.

Thanks for the post Barbara!

traci said...

Even when you aren't denied the bonding moments in the beginning you still don't want to be seperated from your baby. My mom had the same problem with me. I just didn't even want to be away from Jeremy - or even Brenden, Anna and especially Natalie - though that's another story all together.

You don't want to miss anything!

grannybabs said...

I remember wanting a nap more than anything - which is probably why I always offer that option to the new moms I'm helping!!

Eliza said...

Nice post, Mom!

I think the best breaks you offered me when you were here were in the early morning after he had eaten and was ready to play but I was barely able to hold up my own head. Because as you said, especially that first week I never wanted to leave him. Still now I'd rather sleep when he's sleeping than sleep when someone else is playing with him (although I'll take what I can get).

It was perfect having you here and I didn't feel ready for you to leave. Yet the next morning, I had a doctor's appointment so I got up, got Theo ready, got myself ready, and went to the appointment without any fuss or fanfare and it all felt normal (even though it took twice as long to get myself ready since he was awake the whole time). That feeling of normalcy out of nowhere when I was sure we wouldn't be ready to be on our own was a pleasant surprise.

bonny with a Y said...

excellent post mom.

and i think the ripple effect of a birth is an important one.

Phoebe said...

I can only imagine what it will be like when #3 comes along.
I always tell everyone to really enjoy the recovery from the first baby. It's just not the same the second time around.