Monday, May 17, 2010

Grandpa's Girl


Dawn's birthday was last Thursday - but it was a Relief Society Dinner and Activity in our ward - and Dawn is the new Relief Society Activities Co-ordinator. The night before had been Noah's birthday - and Dawn was working. Friday night was Father and Sons - Harry took off work for that, but then he had to work Saturday night. Sunday I had my Stake Young Women Transition to Relief Society event - and then Dad and I drove Ara home. So I was beginning to think we'd never be able to give Dawn a proper celebration, since they were planning to take the kids to a Dodger game tonight - and I have my book group tomorrow night - you get the picture!!

But the gray, drizzly weather caused them to re-think going to Chavez Ravine, so they took us up on our offer to tend the kids while Harry took Dawn out. I thought they'd go out to dinner, but Harry said, "We can always go out to dinner, but we can't always watch a movie in peace," so they went to the show - I think they saw Ironman 2.


Dad was sort of into the Laker's game, so I suggested he have Miss Isla join him while I engaged the other kids in a rousing game of Slap Jack. Then I got the great idea to settle them into the guest room with my portable DVD player.


So we lined up pillows and wedges against the wall, put on our jammies, snuggled up in blankets, and watched Angels in the Outfield, which they found funny at times - and at other times they would say, "Is it going to be funny again now?" (They were mostly in love with the slapstick and broad humor - which is what makes it such a great kids' movie I think.)


When Harry and Dawn got back, we surprised Dawn with a tray full of cupcakes with lit candles - which the kids dutifully and somewhat precipitously extinguished for her!!


After rifling through the Grandma's Treasure Box, they all headed for home - with the unfinished DVD safely in their possession.


Dad and I lived away from our families for 12 years. We usually came down to California once a year. I didn't especially feel that we were deprived, but having the experience of family living close by has shown me just why those women in Centerville would lament so loudly when their kids married and moved away.

Fortunately for us, technology and improvements in travel allow us to see our kids and grandkids fairly often. And we can keep up on just what life is like via blogs and email and Skype, so we still feel a part of things. But there is something about being close by.

Tonight was a pretty good example of that something.

(I think I need to get my reservations for the summer visits to Oregon and Virginia that I am so looking forward to!)

4 comments:

Alice said...

I can certainly appreciate those women in Centerville, although, I am the one that mostly moved away. Just 3+ years and we will be finished with this lifestyle and able to enjoy our families much more.

Karen said...

The worst thing about living far away from family is missing all the little things.

hanner said...

i know mom, when are you buying your tickets??! :)

Eliza said...

Yes! Buy the tickets already!

Isla is so beautiful!