Thursday, August 07, 2014

A couple more -

Of course I forget two of the best books I read this summer - see post below - so I will add them here:

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.  Secret Life of Bees was so wonderful, so when the author wrote The Mermaid's Chair and it wasn't so wonderful, I thought maybe she was a "one shot wonder!"  But no, this one is great!!  It's about slavery - and the general repression of women in our history - but told lyrically and sensitively - you will love it too!  I seem to find learning my history from novels to be preferable to just reading history!!  And part takes place in Philadelphia - where I am right now!!

Fannie Flagg's The All Girl Filling Station's Reunion is vintage Fannie Flagg - and that means interesting, informative, hilarious, and heart-warming.  No misses here on any score.

Will post more as I read more.  And photos will come - sometime - of my East Coast adventures!


No comments: