Saturday, May 14, 2016

Getting behinder and behinder!!


It's been a busy spring - and doesn't look like it will get any less busy anytime soon, but I have been getting some reading done - mostly when I travel though!!  I don't dare start a book at home - then truly nothing will get done!!  

Hannah had this one from the library - I am so out of touch, I didn't even know there was a new Maisie Dobb's out.  Maisie has lost a lot of her charm - I read mostly out of loyalty.  This was typical of her later stuff - predictable and a little stilted.  Not sure why I feel compelled to read her.  It's a lot like the Mitford novels - took me a while to give those up too.

I think Phoebe recommended this one - or maybe Leslie - but it is good!  A coming of age story that is well-written and beautiful in its depiction of life in the 60's.  Have not even heard of this author - apparently he is well known as a mystery/detective writer - but he has captured youth and religion and coming-of-age beautifully. The incident that the title comes from is especially moving.

I was at the airport early - quite early actually - and saw this in the airport store, so I bought it - along with a People magazine - my airport guilty pleasure -  because I had read a review of it in the New Yorker.  I don't think they often review adolescent novels, so I wanted to find out why.  It is beautifully written - and so evocative of youth and life and sorrow and being different but the same.  I'm actually not sure a young person could really appreciate it - but maybe I'm wrong on that score.


Always love an Anna Quindlen novel - was delighted to hear there was a new one out.  This was a good read, and well-written, but not actually excellent literature - a little too "pat" at times.  But it was a good read!

Now I am reading a book Alice recommended - won't be traveling for a few weeks so I'm not sure when I will get it read - you'll just have to check the blog - all 5 of my readers that is!!

4 comments:

Eliza said...

I'll be checking! :)

Karen said...

I will be checking your blog, and also Raymie Nightingale. I saw the new Masie Dobbs, but passed it up. I agree that They don't seem as good as before.

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

It seems that every time I comment from my phone I somehow get double comments. I guess I will have to wait and comment from my computer!