Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Lessons from the Centenarians

Saw this on the bookshelf at Karl's house - the cover looked intriguing.  So I ordered it - and it came and I read it.  Often non-fiction books take me a while to read, but this read almost like a novel, and I raced right through it.

Neenah Ellis - who was and maybe still is a writer for NPR - got a grant for a series on All Things Considered.  
She sought out recommendations for centenarians she might interview and set out.

The ensuing journey is fascinating - and I use the word because it fits!  Like she says, we will all grow older - and could live to be 100.  In light of our experience with Harry's mom, this story was insightful in many areas.

The individual stories are full of details that bring the stories to life.  The book was published in 2002 and I found myself sad thinking that the people in the stories are definitely no longer alive!

Read it - you won't be sorry you did!!

No comments: