Tuesday, September 12, 2017

When life hands you lemons, sit down and read!


I am spending today prepping for a colonoscopy tomorrow - and spending the day on a liquid diet - one that includes lots of nasty stuff to drink - so it is a good day to spend reading!!

My good friend Arlene dropped this book by my house yesterday - her mom wants to start a little book group and Arlene thought I might like to participate - so I started reading.

It looked a little long, but once I got into it, it was a fast read.  I have never read David Baldacci - he's a lot like Grisham - maybe because this story is about the Supreme Court - and their are lawyers in it. 

It was a little convoluted and you had to keep track of details, but it was a pretty good mystery.  I did not solve it myself - I often read the last chapter first and I did on this one - but it was a good way to while away the day!

Would be excellent airplane fiction - probably explains why my familiarity with the name Baldacci comes from seeing it in airport book stores!!


I walk with  my friend Rene on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and she handed this book to be today.  So after I finished Baldacci, I went right to this one.  It is a Newberry Honor Book - and I can see why - well-written and thought provoking.

The story focuses on two London children who are sent to the country as World War II poses a greater threat to the city.  I have read many stories about these city children who were sent to the country around London - not all were treated so well - but apparently many found a good home and much to enrich their lives.

The chapter about Dunkirk was especially compelling - since I recently saw that movie.

I have often said that kids could be taught American and world history with a map, a timeline,  and some great core novels.

This is one such novel!!

No comments: