Saturday, November 04, 2017

More reading choices - some better than others!


My Tuesday, Thursday morning walking buddy often has a little treasure for me to read - and this was one of them.  The story is by a rather prolific Australian writer and school principal!  He has several series - and it appears that they are mainly for an adolescent of YA audience.  And frankly, a good YA book can be a treat - since it's usually a fast read.

This story is somewhat convoluted, but there is a mystery there - don't want to spoil it for you - that makes for some good reading to solve.
 

Went scavenging in a neighboring Little Free Library - and frankly could have done better!  This is Christian chick-lit - not sure why I even finished it - wanted to at least solve the mystery.  I put it in my own Little Free Library - and it's still sitting there! 


A book group choice for this month.  I had certainly heard of A.J.Cronin, but knew little about him and had never read one of his books - or even seen the movies that have been made from a couple of his books.

This was complex reading - for one thing, A.J. Cronin was Scottish - and the dialog and dialect can be hard to follow at times.  The story was convoluted too.  I went looking for some material on him or the book, but I didn't find much. Cronin was a medical doctor and a novelist - so the storyline has that added dimension.

However, sticking with it to the end was worth it - figured out the storyline - and the aughter's intent I think. And it's a moving treatise on religion and the role it plays in shaping our lives.

Turns out this is a sequel to Sing a Song of Sixpence by the author - those who chose it said you could read them out of order.  I feel like I need to read the first one now.

Will keep you posted!

No comments: