Monday, July 16, 2018

Way behind these days!


Have been reading a lot actually - and putting reviews on FB and IG, but have neglected this blog - perhaps no one cares!! But I have been picking up books at odd places - this was at the Book Rack - a used book source locally that I enjoy - and this one leaped out at me  - I was sure I had read the author before, but her list of previous works does not ring any bells!

This is a pretty good story - and is thought-provoking too. About two women whose paths cross - deals with childbirth too - always a fascinating subject!!

Most of the folks I know would enjoy it I think.
 

Alice said that Hester said this was the best book she'd ever read - and Alice had a mile high stack already,  so she suggested I take a stab at it.
 
It is a great read - WW II, the Jews, the Holocaust - but it starts in 1919 - and the main protagonist is a dwarf named Trudy - so a WW II story that is not like the others.

Maybe not the best book I've ever read - but a very good one.

It does start slow though!
 

Good, the way Anne Tyler is usually good - but not quite up to par.

Usually her stories "ring true" - but this one seemed almost "not quite believable."

If you are a fan, give it a read.
 

On my Tuesday morning walk, I discovered a large box of books someone had put on the curb for people to go through and take.  Most of them were not books I would be the least bit interested in - lots of "popular" stuff that usually doesn't appeal to me.

But this looked interesting - and I felt like with a box full of free books, surely there was one I would want!! (I did take some of the "popular" ones for my Little Free Library though!)

Apparently this was turned into a series of stories with most of the same characters. Not sure I want to read the others, but this story was fairly well written with some intriguing characters.

Lightweight - when you need lightweight stuff!

No comments: