Monday, February 14, 2005

XXXX's and OOOO's

I remember Valentine Days of yore. I was always worried that no one would give me one. (In the old days, the school didn't send home a list of everyone in the class - some people really didn't get very many.) Coming from a very large family with not much money, my mom bought the cheapest ones they had - you had to cut them out, they didn't punch out. And she never bought candy to put in them. So I was only allocated a few - and so I only gave out a few. But each year I got a respectable amount - enough to at least feel like I wasn't the class reject anyway. Maybe the mothers in the class said, "be sure to give one to the little Clayton girl - she probably doesn't get much!"

Along those lines, there was a mother in the class who always baked a cake for me at her daughter's birthday party (which occurred 2 days after my birthday) In retrospect, that is incredibly kind and thoughtful. It was always an angel food cake - which is probably why angel food cake is my all time favorite dessert.

1 comment:

Eliza said...

How sad--("some people really didn't get very many")! That made me a little bit sad for the poor kids who "really didn't get very many."

But thanks for the redemption with the angel food cake story. I always loved that story. Didn't the other little girl get a devil's food cake? Was the mom sending some sort of culinary message?