Saturday, June 11, 2005

P.S. I love you!

P.S. I Love You is an old movie title - I think. At any rate, I'm not talking about post scripts here. I am waxing eloquent on the time-honored institution of public schools - which I am no longer personally connected to! (To which I am no longer personally connected?) Professionally yes, personally no.

As of Thursday, June 9th, the Terrill offspring of Harry and Barb are finished with the K-12 adventure. And it's been a long adventure. Other adjectives may come to mind - at this point, long seems the most apt.

In 1975, I trundled off to Centerville Elementary with Bonny and Harry in tow. And Bonny was tow-headed too (and mostly still is, I might add.) I don't remember her kindergarten teacher's name, but if I passed her in the street - and she still looked like she did in 1975 - I'd recognize her! I remember filling out the paperwork before she started school - it seemed like such a milestone in all of our lives. And I suppose it was. We shopped beforehand - new clothes, new shoes, new socks, new underwear - and a lunch box! Much has changed, but there were always new lunch boxes on the first day of school. I don't remember what Bonny wore, but I remember that it was a dress that I made - I made most of Bonny's clothes then - and that most of the little girls wore dresses. (I also remember that for many years Bonny's favorite dress was a K-mart special someone gave her for her 4th birthday!)

1977 saw a very pregnant mom and Bonny and Harry once again trundling off to Centerville Elementary for Harry's first day of school - with the same teacher whose name I still don't remember. We no longer lived in the old rock house on Main Street but around the corner in the Cook Apartments. Harry had new clothes too - mostly striped polos and tan cords . And the other little boys dressed the same. And there was a new lunch box. We walked to school though - and I would walk to meet Harry in the afternoon. After Phoebe was born, I started standing out on the road and watching the children walk by themselves. Slowly letting go . . .

The next first day of school was Phoebe's - in 1982 - and I was once again pregnant, but just barely - and feeling awful. We were in California then - at the house on Lime. I think the walking there was probably good for me, but the crashing on the couch back home once I got there seemed even better - at the time anyway! Phoebe started school in store-bought finery - a red corduroy jumper I personally loved, but in recent years Phoebe has denigrated its loveliness! She was always outspoken about her clothing, so I'm not sure why she didn't say anything then! I don't remember her teacher's name either, and I would recognize her too. She was older, but had trained at SMCNS, so we knew she was in good hands. A new lunch box was clutched in her hand too.

Eliza's first day is fuzzier than the others - I wasn't pregnant, but did have 3 little ones at home, so I probably had 2 toddlers in tow. And we were headed for Mayflower School from the house on Primrose. She wore a store bought dress too - I did sew some for Eliza and Hannah but mostly Sunday dresses or sun dresses - not first-day-of-school dresses. There was a new lunch box - I remember casing the aisles at Ralphs letting her choose. And a backpack may have been part of the scence too - I don't quite recall when backpacks became as essential as lunch boxes. It seems like they have always been part of the scene. (I often find myself saying things like, "When did we not have a microwave, a VCR, a computer, etc.) But I do remember her teacher's name - Mrs. Eden. She was great for Eliza - seemed to understand her very well - and encouraged her brightness and creativity.

The telling element about Eliza's first year is that everyone was some place different. Bonny was in college, Harry was in high school, Phoebe was in middle school, Eliza was in elememtary school, Hannah was in nursery school, and Noah was at home in diapers! I suppose I should be grateful that your dad wasn't the bishop yet! We got through that year - but I'm not always sure just how we managed it! (And now that I think about it, that was the year Andrew started coming every day too!)

Hannah's first day is quite clear - because Linda Rich came along and took a picture of Hannah with Andrew and Noah. (If I was a blogger extraordinaire, I would scan that photo on now - but I'm not a B.E. and I don't know where the picture is at the moment!) Hannah had Mrs. Rittenhouse and Mrs. Frias was the aide - and she is retiring this year after 35 years! And Hannah wore a pink and white dress made from two tee shirts - it was a perennial favorite of hers too - she's wearing it in lots of pictures from that year! She had a lunch box too - maybe she even still has it. She had short hair that turned under - I loved it, but Eliza and Hannah poke fun at their "Yellow Balloon" hair cuts of that era.

Noah and Andrew started school at long last - they too had Mrs. Rittenhouse - and I'm pretty sure they both wore jeans and tee shirts - although they may have worn shorts. There is undoubtedly a photo I could check, if I could find it! There were new lunch boxes, and I remember backpacks - although I wonder what they put in them! What I remember most is how sad and melancholy Linda was about seeing Andrew start school - and how exultant I was at being home alone for at least part of each day!

Centerville Elementary, Bradoaks, Mayflower, Clifton, MHS - the circle closed as Noah checked out last Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 30 years well-spent - may the next 30 be just as well-spent!

10 comments:

Alice said...

Congratulations!! I have at least 5 more years before Axel will be finished with public (oh well, private) school. I am amazed that you can remember each time your kids went to Kindergarten. I can remember some but not all of them. You did a great job. Give yourself a giant high five.

bonny with a Y said...

oh my! mom you made me cry. I too am impressed you can remember each child - i don't know if i could remember my two.

although we have been going through photos looking for pix of grandma helen and it made me think that i really do need to get my albums done asap - there is so much to be learned from them. besides, if i die - no one else would be able to do them. they are officially moving to the head of my to do list this summer.

Eliza said...

Very nice post—nostalgic and just the right amount of sentimental. And I, like Alice, am impressed that you remember all 6 first-days of kindergarten, and not surprised that Alice doesn’t remember 9 (I wouldn’t). When Noah started his senior year, did you say, “This is the last first-day of school”? – Betsy-Tacy reference. I’m glad you liked Mrs. Eden. I liked her too, even though she made me sit with my head down during recess whenever I was late. (I think that was at your request, actually.) 30 years of public school is a long time, and that would be weird to just sort of stop your association with it. Good thing you have lots of other exciting things going on that won’t stop, like grandkids and weddings and missions and blogging. :)

hanner said...

I didn't even know that dress was made of two t-shirts. Haha. Did you make it, or did it come from an SMCNS carnival?

But I did really like it. I think I'm wearing it in every picture from kindergarten, including my scraggly haired school picture.

grannybabs said...

Yes, it did come from the SMCNS carnival! Maybe I could reflect on those - although I mostly remember the one where I was in charge of the handmade items booth - and I'd rather forget that!!

grannybabs said...

And yes, when Mrs. Eden said she hated to punish you for being late, because she didn't know if it was your fault or not, I told her it was indeed your fault and she could deliver the consequences. As I recall, you stopped being so tardy!!

bonny with a Y said...

i wish our teachers would follow through with consequences. my kids could care less if they are late because there are no repercussions, despite my talks with their teachers.

Noah said...

"p.s. i love you" = song title. the beatles, to be exact.

grannybabs said...

Thank you Noah for being a good editor - it's important, especially on the internet, to be precise - since so many things on the internet are not precise!!

Phoebe said...

Wasn't my Kindergarten teacher's name Dr. Lo? Maybe I had 2 teachers. I didn't hate the red corduroy. I just noted that you picked a lot of it. 3 years in a row my school picture was in red corduroy.
I just checked. I was Mrs. Bush and Dr. Lowe. Harry used to say it was Dr. High and Mrs. Tree and Ms. Bacon for Ms. Dakin. It would drive me nuts.
I enjoyed the walk down memory lane.