Tuesday, May 31, 2005

On Turning 60

My postings on the personal blog seem to get fewer and farther between. This must be indicative of something - not enough to say, too much to do - or neither. But I did not want to let May go by without some notation.

And what is notable about May? This particular May? Of course the significant birthday figures majorly (is this a word?) And other important birthdays - my mom, my son, my old friends from public school days, my daughter-in-law, my we-share-a-birthday sister-in-law, assorted neices and nephews - May is a jam-packed birthday month.

And Mother's Day - my least favorite holiday usually - wasn't too bad this year. I remember the first year I thought I qualified because I was pregnant - and Harry didn't do anything. When I said something, he said something like "You're not my mother." It wasn't rude - I'm sure he'd just never thought of the holiday in any other terms. So the first official year as a mother, he and Bonny gave me Julia Child's "The Art of French Cooking." The only recipe I've ever used in that book is the French bread recipe - fittingly enough - but I still fondly notice it's presence on the cookbook shelf. Mostly I don't like going to church and hearing about all the excellent mothers - I feel deficient somehow. And I feel bad for the legion of Mormon women who truly feel bad on Mother's Day - and there are a lot of women like that. Maybe like Harry they should just focus on their own moms and what they have done for them. And not feeling their own deficits as a mom - or their lack of Momness!

The major b-day this year was great - for anyone who hasn't heard about it, Harry sent letters to all the women in the ward and suggested they send me a card - no gifts, no money, okay, maybe a hug - and I got a total of 83 cards! They started arriving on May 19th and the last two came on May 28th! What a great way to celebrate - mantel and the piano were awash in cards - it was quite festive looking. I think I will send the idea in to Women's Day or something and get $50 when they use my (!) idea.

So May is almost gone - June, end of school, start of summer, reunions, visits, trips, is on its way in - what new insights await?

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Eliza said...

Yay, you're back! I thought maybe you'd given up on the blog. Phew. :)

bonny with a Y said...

i'm glad you liked your birthday - i had fun. i, too thought the card idea was genius - go get your $50!

Phoebe said...

And your grandson's birthday!