Saturday, November 19, 2005

The Daffodil Principle


The Daffodil Principle
Originally uploaded by grannybabs.
I used this story - and the poem "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud" by William Wordsworth (someday I will learn how to do links) - in my Visiting Teaching Seminar address last week.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story - it's a true one. High in the San Bernardino mountains, five acres of daffodils burst into glorious bloom every spring - and they are all planted by one woman, one bulb at a time, over 35 years.

The message is simple - start now to change the world - your world - one step at a time.

It's a great principle - and I think it answers the query posed when I said sometimes our best is not good enough, we have to do what is required. (If I was a true blogger extraordinare, I'd have a link here too!)

I think what is required is that we do good continually - one step or one bulb at a time - no need to run faster than we are able - just one at a time - I can do that!

And keep the "big picture" in mind all the time - so the little steps don't seem too small to be significant.

And of course, that's how to be an excellent visiting teacher - one sister, one action, one call, one visit, one note in the mail, one plate of cookies, one prayer, one thought at a time!

3 comments:

D. Scott said...

The story sounds wonderful. I am only sorry that I couldn't hear your lesson!(perhaps you could record them and Eliza or Hanna could show you how to upload it in mp3 form!) I know, I know, you're working on links first. You do however have the pictures down nicely!
On a daffodil note. There is a hill in the Motherlode country called Daffodil Hill and I believe it has a similar background. I was able to see it a few times when I worked out of Jackson and Sutter Creek. Absolutely gorgeous in the springtime.

Phoebe said...

I may have to use that for my RS presidency message in the newsletter next month.

bonny with a Y said...

i've heard that story before and really liked it - i too may have to use it in the primary newsletter - the teachers and parents could use it. as could i.


maybe i'll have to start planting daffodils on our property - it could be pretty cool.

i'm so glad to have a mom like you (and a blog) where i can learn neat things like this.