Saturday, December 10, 2005

West Meets East

I recently finished reading "Memoirs of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. It was for a new bookgroup I've been attending. The plan is to go see the movie and compare it to the book. It turns out that the movie is in an exclusive run here, so we may not end up going to see it. (Who wants to battle going to the West side at 4 in the afternoon?!)

I am always struck by how different Asian culture - specifically Chinese and Japanese culture and history - is from Western culture. The whole Geisha concept is mind boggling if you think about it for any length of time. Especially in this novel, the girl is basically a slave - since she has no say or choice in her life.

I guess the part that doesn't set well with me is the fact that women are definitely 2nd class citizens. However, they do manage to exert influence anyway - guess you really can't keep a good woman down!

I read that the author researched the novel for 15 years before finishing it - and his credentials in Japanese art and history were pretty compelling - so did he want to be informative? controversial? or did he just want to tell a story.

It's not quite as Eastern as China and Japan, but India offers some interesting insights also. I had been given a copy of "Life of Pi," but hadn't gotten around to reading it, so H. and I bought it and listened to it up and back to Phoebe's. It makes for great listening - I'm not sure how it reads, but it kept us awake!

I'm inereseted in other's insights and opinions on the symbolism in the boat, the boy and the animals. And of course the overwhelming question - which one is a dream? I always wonder, when people start seeing things as symbols, if the author had that in mind or just wanted to tell a story.

I'm about a third of the way through "Death Comes for the Archbishop." I watched a PBS documentary about Willa Cather last week - now I want to read some of the books I hadn't even heard of - because it seems to be that her work should probably be studied as a body of work, not just individual novels. She certainly is an interesting character - and burned all her letters before she died - and instructed those she had sent letters to to do the same!

I am going to dig into C.S. Lewis - my kids have all read him but I have not - it took me a while to read the Anne of Green Gables books and the Betsy Tacy books - I think I was too busy when they were reading them to read them myself. Or maybe since they were absorbed in a book, I took the opportunity to read what I wanted to read!! (that's how I explain that I never watched "Princess Bride" all the way through until I showed it to my students!!)

14 comments:

Eliza said...

I read weeks ago that Geisha was coming out on Dec 9--so I geared up to see it this weekend--and then found out it's not coming to Salt Lake until Dec 23rd! What the heck! I was truly bummed.

I'm hoping that it's playing in LA when we go down for Christmas...? If not then I'll just have to hope that it's still out in SLC after New Year's.

I haven't read the book, although I want to--also haven't read Life of Pi--also not Archbishop--also not any Narnia books, although I like Mere Christianity.

We saw Narnia last night--I thought it was pretty good.

Eliza said...

(And also dripping with Christian symbolism [Narnia, that is]--I really don't know how people can dispute that! And they do! Interesting.)

hanner said...

Mom, the Narnia series is a quick read. You can probably finish it pretty quickly.

Eliza, I hear that the BYU performance of Lion... a couple of years ago was dripping with symbolism. As in Aslan was a guy with longish hair, a beard, and sandals. He might as well have been wearing a nametag that said "Jesus."

Eliza said...

Well, see, that's the thing...that's not symbolism! A camera shot from above angled down at the mocked/beaten Aslan's death; another shot looking up at the doorframe-type stone structure through which the "resurrected" Aslan walks as he appears to weeping women...etc...that's symbolism.

Someone playing "Aslan" but dressed up as Jesus--that's not symbolism. That's overkill (IMO).

Karen said...

Ok, I'll admit I have not read Geisha, or Life of Pi, or Death Comes for the Archbishop. I tried to read narnia (long ago) but it just didn't interest me that much. I did like Mere Christianity. And Screwtape letters. Also, it is a little sad for me to admit, but I have read the Princess Bride as well as watched the movie.
I better get reading some of these others.

hanner said...

sorry. used the wrong word.

SORRY!

Phoebe said...

Read all of them, recommended all of them to Mom about a year ago and now she's finally reading them.
I think that Life of Pi was symbolic on purpose. I think that Geisha was impressive because it was a man that wrote it, the whole time I kept thinking that it had to have been a woman.
I find all of Willa engrossing, especially when you read about her life. Her works of fiction were extremely autobiographic. The lesbian aspect was interetsing, too.
I am reading A Day No Pigs Would Die. One of my favorite adolescent novels, next to Bridge to Terabithia. Has anyone read it?

grannybabs said...

I love A Day No Pigs Would Die and I always hope it will get adopted as a core literature novel so I can have the copies and resources to do it with my students. I have Bridge to Terabithia on tape and most of my students take a turn reading it during silent reading - and always love it - boys and girls - which pleases me.

Saw Narnia tonight - I'm reading the first book now. Enjoyed the movie - but I think it would be scary for children!

Okay, so which way is the dream for Life of Pi - with or without the animals? Guess I should go online - there are always interesting comments there - as in papers written for college classes - that was how I figured out what was going on in Beloved by Toni Morrison.

The documentary on Willa C. alluded to her possible lesbian relationship - but that other woman later married and had a family - and all the letters that might reveal anything have been destroyed.

Let's keep those comments coming!

Narnia is indeed a quick read. And fun. Those kids who play the roles in the movie are really charming - and the ice queen is pretty great too!

bonny with a Y said...

I read geisha years ago - ella was a baby. I liked it - but i'd have to review it to rememebr anything.

Narnia - very good - quick read. Ithink I might let Ara see it if she reads the book first. I think it's PG - I'll have to check it out first.

Cather - I will have to get back to you

Princess Bride - LOVED the book and the movie. we listened to the BoT as we drove up to Phoebe's for Calvin's blessing - short - but everyone lied it.

Huck Finn is also a great BoT - SOOOO funny.

Anyway, i should get to work.

grannybabs said...

Narnia was great - we saw it last night - but it could be scary to kids!

HPT said...

Is there an echo in here?

What is scary for adults in Narnia? The eerie resemblance to Star Wars in the coronation scene. At least the wicked queen wasn't there receiving accolades as was the converted Vader in SW.

What else is scary? That I know of no men who get together to discuss books. Is that how first class citizens are supposed to act? Is there something deeper about master-slave going on here that I am not getting?

Phoebe said...

I love hpt!

grannybabs said...

And after all my efforts, the high school book group meeting was postponed - undoubtedly until after the new year.

I may stick with book blogs - they are more dependable!

bonny with a Y said...

men do love to discuss books - we had a couples book club at UCSB - it lasted for 3 or 4 years. Then we all started to have kids and get too busy I guess.

I know Bruce would love to discuss books - he just isn't on the computer much. Nor are there any men in our area who read. I'm sad, but I think it is true.