Monday, September 11, 2006

"Giving" to Remember 9/11


I had been contacted by the Red Cross to donate blood today. They've been calling me all summer - and I kept forgetting my appointments - on purpose and by accident.

But today I remembered - and thought, "I won't forget this time - I can do this to honor 9/11."

So I went and had to wait an hour - and I had an appointment! Then they tested my blood and it looked like I might not have enough red blood cells! So the nurse said, "Well, we will have to spin it and see if it's okay."

And she came back smiling - assuming I guess that I'd be disappointed if I couldn't give blood. And maybe I would have been.

I thought about Carol Lynn Pearson's poem, "Giving,"

I love giving blood.
Sometimes I walk in
Off the street
When no one has even asked
And roll up my sleeve.

I love lying on the table
Watching my blood flow
Through the scarlet tube
To fill the little bag
That bears no address.

I love the mystery
Of it's destination.
It runs as easily
To child or woman or man,
Black or white,
Californian or Asian,
Methodist, Mormon,
Moslem or Jew.

Rain does too.
Rivers do.
I think God does.
We do not.

Our suspicious egos clot
On the journey
From "Us" to "Them."

So I give blood
To practice flowing,
Never knowing
Where it's going.
And glad.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I like that poem. Thanks for the reminder to give blood!

bonny with a Y said...

mom, that was fabulous.

Phoebe said...

I had never read that poem of hers. I haven't given blood since High School. I passed out so many times they told me not to come back. But mayeb 12 years and 2 kids later I could do it?

amy k said...

I unforetunately have never given blood. I didn't meet the "weight" in high school and haven't done it since. I always find myself a nursing mom when Jacob goes. I will have to do it one d ay.

D. Scott said...

That was great Barb. It's a good day to remember to give.
I did the same on 9/11 for an Eagle Scout project.