Monday, September 18, 2006

"Sew what?"



Last Christmas I made aprons for my daughters. I had a couple of friends who were into vintage aprons, and Phoebe had clued me into eBay. The old aprons on eBay were sometimes overpriced. At some point I thought, "I could made an apron like that."

I then remembered a pattern my mom had used to make me an apron 30 years ago. And I not only located the apron pattern, but it turned out there were 3 of them - small, medium and large!

So I started making aprons, and it was a lot of fun. I started thinking of all kinds of people I'd like to make one for - birthdays, new babies, bridal showers - the list was endless.

I have made probably 25 or 30 aprons since December. I am always on the lookout for vintage or retro fabrics - even traditional fabrics catch my eye. So do good deals!

And I've gotten pretty fast too - I can make one in under two hours now.

The best thing about it, however, is the fact that I have made enough of them that I'm pretty much on AutoPilot when I sew. So I can think and ponder and compose letters and blogs in my head!! And when I'm done, I have something to show for my time.

I can see why people have hobbies!!

8 comments:

Eliza said...

I love mine and wear it all the time. Sure, it's nice to wear while cooking, but it's nicer to wear while eating, which is when I'm most apt to spill on myself.

Karen said...

They look good. Nice Hobby.

bonny with a Y said...

i love mine as well - i feel quite retro at times in it.

Amy Girl said...

Once again I have to say, "Can't even imagine having that kind of time." But, you give me hope that someday I too will have a hobby other than running after kids!

Alice said...

The aprons look great. I am sure that everyone loves them. I have some binding here that would be so good for these aprons. It is something that I have never seen other places. I will have to send you a sample.

grannybabs said...

Always glad to try something new - send me some!! I'll make you an apron in return!

Phoebe said...

I enjoy mine as well. I always get a lot of compliments. I enjoy all things apron and vintage.

Rachel said...

and i love mine, too! (thanks barbara for sewing one so ph could give it to me for my birthday!)

and, have you been to reprodepot.com? they have fabulous retro fabrics. you'll be inspired and fill your shopping cart FULL of amazing finds.