Monday, March 05, 2007

Giving blood today


I think I've posted about this before. Maybe even posted this poem by Carol Lynn Pearson. But it bears repeating:

Giving

I love giving blood.
Sometimes I walk in
Off the street
When no one has even asked
And roll up my sleeve.

I love lying on the table
Watching my blood flow
Through the scarlet tube
To fill the little bag
That bears no address.

I love the mystery
Of its destination.
It runs as easily
To child or woman or man,
Black or white,
Californian or Asian,
Methodist, Mormon,
Moslem or Jew.

Rain does too.
Rivers do.
I think God does.
We do not.

Our suspicious egos clot
On the journey
From "Us" to "Them."

So I give blood
To practice flowing,
Never knowing
Where it's going.
And glad.

I gave blood today after school. They call me all the time. I usually don't show about 10 times before I finally go - guilt drives me. But I just went - and it wasn't a hassle and I didn't have to wait.

It's good to do something just to do something good.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

I've never given blood, I was always too afraid that I'd pass out or get sick. Now that I've had my blood taken lots of times I'm not quite so afraid, although I know they take a lot more at the Red Cross than at an OB visit. But anyway, maybe I'll try it sometime when I'm not nursing or pregnant.

Eliza said...

And by the way, way to serve. Giving blood is an excellent form of service.

bonny with a Y said...

excellent mom, i've never given blood.

i have yet to try it.

grannybabs said...

I was 32 before I gave blood for the first time - there was a blood drive at church - and we lived across the street from the church - so it certainly wasn't a long trek to get there! Dad encouraged me - and I discovered that it was relatively easy way to give service.

Karen said...

I agree with you Barbara, it is a relatively easy way to give service.
Eliza- I was told it was ok to give while nursing, I gave blood when my baby was 5 months old.