Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Maybe you can't go home again, but you can have a great time talking about it!


This is me in the 9th grade at Patrick Henry Junior High School - 1959


This Judy Vergine, my next door neighbor growing up - we were comrades in exploring with our imaginations during the fifties. This is lunch hour at Patrick Henry Junior High in 9th grade.

And this is Mom, Judy and me having a little "mini-reunion" when she came to see what had happened to the old homestead next door (it's been torn down and replaced with a "mini mansion" but the garage-turned-granny-house where her own grandma lived is still there.)

We enjoyed going over the old days - how she'd come to the fence and call me in my room - usually to wake me up, how we fought once and our moms made us come to the fence and make up, how we collected paper dolls and made houses and cities for them to live in, how we'd save our allowances and go to the By-Lo on Chatsworth to see what was new in the paper doll world, how we walked to the Union station by the Women's Club in the summertime to visit the traveling library, how we walked to StarDust Liquor store for popsicicles, how we both didn't like the new girl in the neighborhood who took baton twirling lessons and was pretty stuck up - at least that's what we thought, and how even after all these years, we felt a connection.

Let's hear it for best friends in childhood!

2 comments:

Alice said...

She still looks pretty much the same. When I come in May I will go and see Barbara Alhstrom. She actually still lives in the house the she grew up in. When her mother died and her father remarried, she got the house. It is strange that we both still live in the same houses. I don't actually live in our house but when I come to visit that is where I stay. I knew her from kindergarten through high school.

bonny with a Y said...

i wonder what i would talk about with all my childhood friends - because really our only thing in common was that we lived near each other.