Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Defending the faith

This photo has nothing to do with the post - I'm just excited that Harry William is willing to come to someone other than his mother - I did baby duty Sunday while Dawn was in Primary and Harry had to go home to sleep (he'd worked all night.) I mean, a grandkid who doesn't want you to hold him is a Grandma's deepest sorrow!!

But on to my task at hand.

I was recently "embroiled' in some blogging repartee that got me thinking.

Eliza had posted about her two week vegan adventure she was going to try. And she got a lot of responses. Like any good mother, I warned her of the perils involved in such a foray - mainly because mothers do that sort of thing. And also because I have a close friend whose daughter-in-law was a vegan and was even under the care of a nutritionist while pregnant, but had to start eating meat and dairy because they just couldn't get the volume of nutrients into her in any other way.

So then another respondent cast some aspersions on my concerns - and "them's fightin' words" in my book. So I actually went to her husband's blog, because she suggested it in her comment, and was a bit taken aback at the guy's comparison of Michael Vick to omnivores!

So I commented - and he commented back - and I commented back again - and I haven't checked since then.

But the upshot of all this is that it reminded me of how I feel when people move away from Monrovia or LA or California. They can't just say how much they love their new home. They have to say something bad about Monrovia or LA or California.

Does it occur to them that Monrovia or LA or California is my home? And even with all it's flaws, I love it.

Grandpa Terrill understood this concept. He was talking with Dad once and said something to the effect that "Well, Harry, it's large, and crowded, and smoggy, and over-priced, and even dangerous in some places. But it's home!" (I think it was when Grandma was trying to get him to move away.)

I think when we are excited about something we can go overboard with our recommendations that everyone else should get excited about it too. And I think we could be a lot more sensitive. I've been offended more than once by ward members who've moved away and when they come to visit they go on and on about Monrovia's deficiencies. We know about Monrovia's deficiencies, but we've chosen to stay!

This is not to say that Eliza was trying to convert anyone - I think her respondents were though. I think Eliza was just being informative. As she often is; that is what makes her blog interesting to read.

I'm going to try to take my own advice too.

If I fail, you can remind me what I said!

12 comments:

Karen said...

I liked your comments on Eliza's blog Barbara. I agree that people (including me!)sometimes go a little overboard on things we are excited about (example-breast vs bottle, natural vs epidural) I think (hope) that as I have gotten older I have stopped expecting everyone to joyfully embrace my opinions. And hopefully I don't talk down to those who disagree with me. I have also learned that moderation is the key (now if I was only better at using the key!)

I hope I have not said negative things about California. I love that place. And I have great memories of Monrovia. I have often wanted to move back to CA. Who knows maybe someday it will all work out!

bonny with a Y said...

mom - well said - i'll have to check out that guy's blog.

Eliza said...

I still like Monrovia.

I hope you aren't feeling too bad about the veganism argument. You are not a dog fighter.

And, I also hope that you are not worried about my nutrition. Actually, since I know you are, I hope that you will not worry anymore. Because I am fine! albeit a little skinny. But that is not alarming me, yet. I eat a lot to compensate. And since I am eating so much, I am trying to eat the right things rather than lots of cholesterol-loaded things.

Amy Girl said...

Wow Barbara! That was quite a debate over there with that vegan guy.

I loved your insights in this post. Many of us do get over zealous when we feel passionate about something in particular.

So much of what we experience in life forms us into what we are and choose to become. It is always unfortunate when opinions flare. It very often brings out some evils of the "natural man".

As far as California goes, well I love it and miss it and always will. And I only recall positive memories of the little town of Monrovia where my Terrill cousins lived!

bonny with a Y said...

i love monrovia - always will - although i don't miss the smog - but i do miss the charm and friendliness, and diversity and the downtown and the fig tree at the library and walking on hillcrest and running into people you know - all the time - even though i don't live there anymore.

bonny with a Y said...

those are a few things

traci said...

Would you mind sending me your pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe? The one I've been using I cut out a cooking magazine. I would love to try one that is "in the family"

grannybabs said...

I know you all love Monrovia - I'm not worried about you guys!

I'm talking about the people who move to Utah or Fontana or one of those places.

And I just think it doesn't occur to them that as they gush effusively about their new home while dissing my home that it could be offensive.

And I'm with Karen - I think the breast is better than the bottle and natural is better than chemical - but everyone's situation is different and I'm not prone to pass judgment so much anymore.

But I really think it's important to inform people about choices. I will never forget a young woman in our ward who stopped me at a baby shower and said that she was having problems nursing her baby and she really wanted to succeed and did I have any ideas. (She was a guest - not the guest of honor!)

Well, of course I did! And I went to visit and took reading materials and a meal and she and her husband both read the books and they had a great experience.

2 years later when she was expecting her 2nd baby, she came over and said, "Can we borrow the books again - we need to review things." I loved that girl - talk about earnest and sincere!

What if she'd never asked? I asked her why she asked me and she said that at the baby shower I had been extolling the virtues of breastfeeding - I didn't even know she was listening to me - I wasn't extolling to the group - just to the woman I was sitting next to.

So it's good to inform and persuade with a smile.

Blogging sometimes doesn't let us see the smiles!

And I'm not offended by Mrs. E. or her husband's blog - it takes a lot more than that to offend me these days - but it just got me thinking about that pet peeve of mine (people who leave Monrovia and then dis it!)and it seemed like a good place and time to express it!

bonny with a Y said...

you can smile mom - you just have to emiticon - :)

bonny with a Y said...

that would be emoticon

Phoebe said...

There are good and bad everywhere. Take the rain for example...
And you are good at worrying. That is why you are a good mother. Maybe I should worry more.
I guess what I have learned in my brief 30 years, is that you never really know the whole story. I beleive in Natural childbirth, but that doesn't mean that I have been able to have one. I believe in breastfeeding (which I am good at) but I have friends who have not been able to because of helath reasons. Sometimes I am quick to judge even when I don't know the reasons.
I'll work on it.

grannybabs said...

I keep forgetting how to put the smiles on!