Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"But I'm back again" said Nora, with a monumental crash!

I try to "reflect" on my own blog at least weekly. But the holiday season somewhat overwhelmed me. (And I was also caught up in a pretty good book that used up a considerable portion of my time. But a good book is my way of coping with stress, so it was good I had it.)

But after Matt, Eliza and Theo left early Saturday a.m., I walked by the room they had occupied and noticed that the "Shh! Baby Sleeping" sign was still up. I'm not sure if Eliza positioned it thusly because of the Mr. Hitchcock or not, but it was effective.

However, it reminded me that everyone was once again headed home to their own homes. And we really didn't have to be very quiet - our neighbors never hear us even if we are loud on occasion!!

The hardest part for me when everyone comes - or even when we go to someone's to stay - is the way it looks so empty when you pack up to go home.

Once there was chaos - and you sort of wish it could be calm and peaceful again. But when everyone is gone, it's a little too calm and not as peaceful as you thought it might be.

The feeling passes - life goes on - the busyness takes over once more - but it's kind of a little dress rehearsal of "empty nesting" and how it is to be (mostly) just the two of you again. (Noah lives here once again, but he's in the presidential suite and we don't see a lot of him.)

I'm always surprised at the depth of my feelings. I find that if I plunge into cleaning things up and washing sheets and towels and discarding clothes I really won't ever wear again that the hollow, empty feeling goes away.

Until the next trip or visit.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

I noticed the correlation when I put the sign up but didn't do it on purpose.

I am not surprised at the depth of my feelings, probably because I always feel things pretty deeply! But I would say it's worse when people come to visit me and they leave. Worse meaning it strikes me more because I'm not busy catching a plane or whatever--just confronted with an empty house and nothing to do but miss the person who left!

Amy Girl said...

I agree, being the one left with the empty house, or emptier in my case, is always sad. I call it the visitor blues.

Karen said...

I will agree also. I get the visitor blues. Even if things have been crazy. Usually this is when I get a hankering to move. Anywhere closer to family.