Monday, July 28, 2008

"Si vas para Chile . . "


The above is the title of a Chilean folk song - and it's beautiful - if I knew how to link so you could hear a song, I would.

But I digress - this post isn't really about the song. But it is about Chile, and our recent experiences there. What a fine time we had - and not in the usual sense. What I loved was all the new "life experiences" I had. One of the areas that was impacted was eating! Here is a shot of Sylvia and me enjoying s'mores - at least the Chilean version we cooked up - after I had told her about camping and girls camp and s'mores. Sylvia was really the only convert to the delicacy.


This is the Sierra's home in Chillan - it is out in the "country" and they have several acres - and a swimming pool and a number of outbuildings. It was winter there, and this shot was taken on a rainy day. Elisa grows flowers, herbs and other vegetables that are included in the meals.


Our bedroom overlooked the pool on one side and the lush countryside on the other. And it was very lovely and comfortable. We had out own lovely bathroom too - with a jacuzzi which we didn't use. I'm not sure I know how to use one!


One day we went out to eat with the extended Sierra family at one of their favorite restaurants. The beef was tender and delicious, and I am a fan of South American mashed potatoes - somehow the seem "heartier" or something - it's hard to describe.


When we arrived, Arvolo brought me flowers and we posed for a snapshot - Diana, Elisa, me, Carla and Sylvia.

We started the day with very leisurely breakfasts and then we'd go do something and then we'd have dinner in the afternoon - usually more than one course - soup, salad, meat, side dishes - and after every meal, herb tea. What a delightful habit - I have been continuing it since I got home. Dad commented, "You've never been a fan of herb tea before." But I discovered that with a couple of teaspoons of coarse sugar added, it's quite delightful. Also, I've discovered many new flavors too!

At night, we'd gather around the kitchen table and everyone would pull out what they wanted to snack on - and we'd talk and snack!! (The afternoon meal was in the formal dining room.)

Like I said before, it was a wonderful

1 comment:

Kaahl said...

that's a nice red wall...