Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pearl Harbor Day Remembered


I was not around for Pearl Harbor, but I heard it talked about all my life growing up. When I ask students about it, most of them don't know what it means. The year the movie about it came out, the kids seemed to know about it - but memories are short with the young.

I read the novel Bat 6 with my students one year. The understanding of the story really depends on an understanding of the significance of Pearl Harbor - it usually takes a lot of telling for me to get them up to speed.

My mom always said, "We were driving home from Judy's blessing and we heard President Roosevelt on the radio."

For my generation, if you say "What were you doing when Kennedy was assassinated?" everyone can tell you where they were and what they were doing.

I guess it's 9/11 for the present generation.

Hopefully there won't be too many more catastrophes that need to be remembered!!


1 comment:

Amy Girl said...

It's interesting how various events become burned into our memories forever.