Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A read-a-thon of my own!!


 A long weekend invites some serious reading!!  We went to Mammoth Lakes over President's Day weekend, so I took a couple of cd's from my school library for us to listen to while we drove.  They were definitely adolescent fiction, but after a slow start, this one got gripping.  The reviews I read said that it wasn't great literature, but that it would probably capture the reluctant reader.  I agree - and it's been that way in my classroom.  One boy started this, raved about it, so now everyone is reading it.
 

Same was true for the above - a slow start, but then you got pulled in.  These two titles come from the intervention program I teach, so every so often, "Tanya" comes on and explains or asks questions - I thought this would annoy me, but it did not.  And I can see how students would find this helpful.  If you have a reluctant reader in your midst, give them both of these titles.  A group of boys read this together last year in my intervention class and they all talk about it still.
 

Alice and Eliza both said I'd look at my closet differently after I read this book - and they were right.  I think every woman ought to read this - "cheap" fashion has some pretty powerful, negative consequences for our economy - and the way we see ourselves.
 

I had read this about 10 years ago and then it was selected for my book group.  It's a lightweight read - sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, always entertaining.  There is apparently a movie - so I think I will hunt for it!

I need another long weekend already!!

No comments: