Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Long, long ago!

You will need to click on the above to read it - not sure why it didn't scan larger.  But an old elementary school friend sent this to me - she'd been going through old scrapbooks and  found it.  It's about Mrs. Emigh starting a new Bluebird troop in Granada Hills.  And I'm on the front row - on the left.  I even remember that dress.  

There are few photos of me from my childhood so it's a real treasure to find one.  I have several friends from my K through 12th  grade years, and I always went to their birthday parties.  Maybe I should ask them if they have old photos with me in them.  It's fun to remember being a kid - with photographic evidence!

I remember Bluebirds and Campfire Girls - and I remember going to the Emigh's house for meetings.  I remember learning to spool knit and making a pot holder for my mother.  I think I spool knitted for months after learning how.

One of the major items I remember is that whereas Girls Scouts sold cookies, Campfire Girls sold marshmallows - and the marshmallows came in boxes.  I thought they were exceptionally good marshmallows too!

The other thing I remember is that I didn't stay with the program.  I recall feeling left out because my mother would not buy me the uniform.  They said I could still come, but I didn't want to without the uniform.  On the other hand, there is an old photo of me with a Campfire Girl shirt on!

So who knows what the real skinny was!



No comments: