Tuesday, October 13, 2015

What's entertaining these days!


I read The Martian a few weeks back, and reviewed it here too.  I'd heard there was a movie and had mixed feelings about seeing it.  But Harry wanted to see it, so we went last night.  It is a very entertaining movie - that is, it does what movies are supposed to do:  take you on an adventure to a different place!!

Matt Damon does a very credible job of portraying a man trapped on Mars, and the supporting cast seem well-chosen.  Much of the novel is left out, but movies and books are supposed to be different.  I'm not sure I'd tackle the book now that I've seen the movie, but I am glad I read it before.  There is much more detail in the book - not all of it entertaining but very informative.  And as I read, I kept imagining what it would look like on the silver screen.

Read it, see it.  Let me know what you think!


We visited the Grand Canyon last week - and had a wonderful time.  I was really taken with all the history and architecture there, so I got this book.  It is well-written and full of facts and figures that gave real life to what we saw.

Mary Colter designed a number of the buildings that still stand at the South Rim.  She was rare for her time - a working female architect who influenced an area and an era.  She also designed the lunchroom at Union Station in Los Angeles - that will be my next stop I think!!

No comments: