Monday, June 20, 2016

A must-see movie!


Phoebe and Eliza were both leaving today - Eliza needed to be gone by noon or so, so we had a lovely lunch together.  Then Phoebe said, well, I don't have to go until 5:30, what shall we do?  (What I love about Phoebe is the way she is nice and direct!!)
So I said, well, what about a movie.  And Phoebe said, I was just thinking that we could go to a movie.
 The Krikorian - our default choice when going to the movies  - had nothing we wanted to see.  Then I remembered a movie Harry had wanted to see after he read the review in the LA Times a few weeks ago.  At that time, the movie wasn't playing anywhere close.
But lucky for us, I checked the listings for the Laemmle, our other movie theater of choice, and there it was in black and white - the title, not the movie!  The Music of Strangers, Yo-Yo Ma the Silk Road Ensemble. 

This is a documentary about the efforts of Yo-Yo Ma, world-renowned cellist, and other international musicians, to create a music ensemble that will bring cultures together, create cultural awareness, serve mankind, provide understanding and peace, and play beautiful music.

Sounds like a tall order doesn't it?  Well, it does, but it is achievable - and this film shows you how it's done. In addition, the film also highlights the current issues in the Middle East and the refugee problem.

My description sounds lame - because talking about beauty isn't always beautiful is it?? You need to watch and listen - and this film is the best place to start.

Take my word for it!

No comments: