Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I have been reading - just not as much as I was at this time last year!


I thought Phoebe had recommended this to me - but Bonny said her girls had to read it for school - so I guess she mentioned it and somehow I remembered the title and ordered it on Kindle.  It was sometimes gripping - oftentimes not - it's part of a series - and I don't think I will read the others - the summaries were sufficient!

Enough said I guess! I think teens would enjoy it though.
 

I decided to quit buying so much on Kindle, so I went to the library - and decided to try an Anne Tyler I hadn't read.  That's tough - I often bring one home, start to read it, and realize I've already read it! I need to keep better track!

It is early Anne Tyler - her third published novel - so many of the reviews focused on how much better her later work is.  But other reviewers talked about how basic it was - how it captured family and motherhood and parenting and love and daily life.  

One quote was very touching - I will paraphrase it - it talked about how small Pamela's life really was, but Elizabeth - the main character really - pointed out that she got up every day and dressed up and even pulled her tummy in!

That's what I like about Anne Tyler - the ordinaryness of it all - and how she paints such a great picture of it.

Another reviewer admires the fact that she never seems to pass judgment.  I hadn't thought of that before - but she doesn't really - you have to make up your own mind.

That may be a plus!

2 comments:

Amy Girl said...

Evva read I Am Number Four last year along with the others in the series and really enjoyed them.

grannybabs said...

Like I said, I'm pretty sure adolescents will enjoy them - dystopian novels have to be pretty compelling to catch my interest. But it's something I would probably have enjoyed as a teen - but they really didn't have those kinds of stories when I was a girl! I'm more into stuff like Station Eleven and Margaret Atwood's stuff.