Saturday, August 20, 2016

It will always catch up with you!

Using Commercial jars for canning; Reusing or recycling pasta, mayonnaise, jelly, baby food or any commercial jars are highly susceptible to breakage. These jars should NOT be used

The above is one of the cardinal rules of canning.  A rule I know well - also a rule I have rather cavalierly broken for almost 50 years.
 And there have been no repercussions.
Until tonight!
I was whipping up a batch of strawberry jam - I keep frozen fruit in the freezer and make jam as needed - and I screwed the lid on tight and flipped the jar over to seal - and heard a loud "crack!"
A pint of strawberry jam gone to the trash.
It was a mayonnaise jar.
I think I won't try it again!
Sometimes we have to learn the hard way!
Even if it takes almost 50 years!

No comments: