Friday, August 07, 2020

August so far!


August is the birthday celebrations for Los Dos Hannahs - my Hannah comes later in the month, but the 7th is Hannah Kerksiek's big day.  Alice and I lived many miles apart - in different states, neither one of us knew we were having a girl, and neither one of us let on that our name of choice for a girl was Hannah! 

So when her Hannah was born, Harry and I weren't sure if we needed to choose a new name - it could be a boy after all. And when it was a girl, we decided that since they wouldn't live in the same state even, it wouldn't hurt to have "Los Dos Hannahs."

It mostly confused them when they were little and together - they mostly thought they were being talked to pretty often! When the girls were small, and Alice and Dale were in the foreign service, they came home each summer for several weeks - and spent some of those weeks with us - good times for sure!
 

My grandpa Stevens was born in 1890 - so this is his 130th birthday!  Loved my grandpa - he was not a member of the church and actually criticized my parents for being active - but he was always good to us. In her later years, my mom would tell me about him when I asked questions - turns out he came home for dinner every night - and they had Sunday dinner together every week. Explains why my dad was there every night for dinner. He had his own machine shop, but would come home for dinner and then go back to work.  I guess my mom felt like if her dad could do it, my dad could too!
 

Marcie Hoopes has a bday to day also - the 7th - loved having her as  colleague at Clifton Middle School. I do not miss working - I do miss our daily lunches in the staff room though!
 

And August also featured Sisters Day -  I have 5 sisters - the best gift a gal could have is a sister - so 5 of them is 5 times as good!!

Love my sisters -  shown here at Leslie's wedding. Eliza had been born 4 days before - I'm impressed I was there!

Hopefully I can keep up with regular posting in August!!

No comments: