Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Never thought I'd run out of stuff to say!!

One thing about online classes - they require a lot of writing on the old computer - at least the classes I am taking. I am tired of trying to think of interesting ways to write essays about coronary heart disease and managing stress. And this guy doesn't even do threaded discussions.

The SPED class is another story - we have to do a devotional each week, then reflections on our reading, then assignments - and threaded discussions (where I feel like I am always losing the thread!) I thought I would enjoy the anonymity, but that is not turning out to be the case. I usually am not at a loss for words either, but sometimes I'm just tired of writing it - it's much easier to just say it!

I wonder how I would feel if these were literature classes?

2 comments:

Eliza said...

I think subject content has a lot to do with it. All of my classes require threaded discussions, and in some (my cataloging classes, for example), no matter how hard I study the reading or try to think about it, I’m just at a loss for words and so I sort of have to make stuff up. That’s usually the more technical or theoretical stuff. Then in other classes (my reference classes, for example), I find I have lots to say even if I haven’t done the reading. It’s so much more fun to talk about your favorite dictionaries or how you’d answer a certain reference question, than it is to talk about metadata and algorithms.

Which makes me think that if I were discussing a favorite book or story online for a lit class, I’d have plenty to say—as much as or more than I would if we talked about it in person.

grannybabs said...

You are probably right - there isn't much to say about Assistive Technology after you've said it costs a lot and your district won't pay for it anyway! But there would be a lot to say about a book - which reminds me that I was going to start a book blog - maybe I still will - in my spare time, ha, ha!!