Friday, July 01, 2005

The Senses of Summer

I went walking this a.m. and it was cool and quite overcast. I hoped against hope that it would stay that way - but it didn't. But I was reminded of other overcast days - and wondered why they stand out in my mind.

I remember an overcast summer day in Centerville, Utah when I was pregnant with Phoebe. We were living in the Cook Apartments, and so I decided to sew. (You need to understand that this was long enough ago that not only did we not have air-conditioning, we didn't even have a fan!) I made a red checked top for Bonny - with appliqued strawberries on the yoke. It was cute, and there are a number of photos of Bonny wearing it.

I remember going to UCSB for Parent/Student orientation in July of '88 - and not only was it gray and overcast, it was downright cold. We kept saying to ourselves, "It's July - why is it so cold?" Come to find out it's the norm for SB - they are hot at odd times too!

I also remember a gray overcast day in 7th grade - it was a Saturday and the Student Council was going to the beach! You need to understand that even though I was not truly deprived as a child, I pretty much never went anywhere very exciting so a trip to the beach was a BIG DEAL! It was also drizzly and cold - it was May or June, and Marguerite Hardin and ended up huddled in the bus eating our lunch!

Another cold July also comes to mind - about 4 or 5 years ago - we had just come back from the Scout Pancake Breakfast and it was cool and overcast, so I decided it was the right time to can apricots. What is memorable is the way Hannah carried on - she claimed it was child abuse to make her work so on a holiday! (I think she doesn't like canned apricots either!)

It seems strange that a gray day can evoke so many specific memories. I suppose a sunny day or a rainy day or even a snowy day could evoke specific memories too, if I thought about it. But that's not what I thought about this a.m.

5 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

hey i remember that july in SB too. i love the morning marine layer. i love that it is so moist, so refreshing. it doesn't drag me down. and then, when you think you've gotten used to the fog - it gets sunny after lunch. i love the beach. but i do think it requires a lot of adjustment for inlanders. i used to get so mad when i lived in monrovia and i'd drive all the way to the beach and it was overcast. at least now it's not such a drive anymore.

Eliza said...

Overcast mornings in summer remind me of working at the Duarte pool.

I'm not sure why, since more mornings were sunny than overcast when I worked there. But I guess the overcast mornings stick out more because it was more of a pain to get in the pool at 8 a.m. when it was 65 degrees out.

hanner said...

Hey, ELIZA carried on too. She's the one that added the remark to the quote on your office door, which I'm pretty sure is still up there.

grannybabs said...

It is still up there - maybe I'll take a picture of it and then take it down - kind of like the heights on the door jamb!

kacy faulconer said...

I love overcast, rainy weather. I find it actually invigorates me and sunny weather sort of drains me. Whatever the weather, I have never embroidered strawberries on anything.