Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Day of Love


This is usually my standard Valentine Post Photo of Choice!! For those who are new to Terrill postings, you may not have seen it. I went to one of those photo booths at a dime store in Provo in 1968 - our first Valentine's Day as a married couple - and made this for Harry.
I thought I was pretty clever at the time. And somehow, we still have this very Valentine in our box of mementos.


And Eliza posted about wearing pink or red on the day of love, so when I saw this photo, I thought, well, everyone is wearing pink or red anyway!

But what impressed me about this year is the fact that I seem to have neglected to do just about everything I usually do to celebrate this day!!

I did not make sugar cookies - which I don't always do - sometimes I opt for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies just because they are easier. But I didn't make them either. I did buy some heart shaped candles to give to special people - but they are still sitting wrapped in my office!

Years ago I gave Valentine gifts to the children - they'd be at their place at the breakfast table - but I actually haven't done that for many, many years.

I have two Valentine tee-shirts and 3 pair of Valentine earrings - but I only remembered to wear one pair of the earrings yesterday.

I usually play Valentine Bingo with my students - using pink and red M and M's for markers - but I didn't do that (and that would have been yesterday the 13th, but yesterday the 13th was Valentine's Day at Clifton Middle School!) I did feel bad about it and went to edHelper.com and printed off a packet of Valentine Analogies (X:kiss::O:____) for extra credit, but that didn't really capture everyone's fancy - although some enjoyed it!

Harry and I have given up gifts for most special occasions except birthdays - and it hasn't spoiled our relationship at all! In fact, I find that we are more random about gift-giving - and it even seems to be more meaningful that way. (But he is out getting the new dishwasher today - holidays help us get things for the house!!)

I neglected to send Valentine socks to my daughters and daughter-in-law. I'm pretty sure that's because with my aching knees I've turned all the shopping over to Harry - and he certainly wasn't on the lookout for socks!

But I did send Valentines to the grandkids.

And I did get myself a bouquet a tulips and they are lovely!

And I'm wearing the one pair of Valentine socks I do have!

No comments: