Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Some late night thoughts


Here I am with my good friend Pam!

This week marks the one year anniversary of the death of her son Jack. It seems like only yesterday that I got the sad news. And yet so much has transpired since then - in fact, Pam and Jerry are now on a mission in Salt Lake City.

Hannah and Robbie have gotten married, Harry went to Boston without me, we went to Oregon for Hood to Coast, I've acquired a lovely new granddaughter, all the kids have been here for Christmas, I finally got a decent classroom - which I love!!, and we just completed a wonderful women's conference.

Last year, we had just completed one when Jack died. And last year, starting with the death of my good friend Janice, about a dozen people whose lives have intersected with mine in meaningful ways died.

It was hard because it seemed so unrelenting. There has been a pause - a significant one. And I am grateful. I am reminded of my friend Carolyn, whose oldest daughter died in childbirth a few years ago. Then her granddaughter was accidentally run over by a truck driven by her husband. She was the Relief Society President, and her counselor's husband died - as did her secretary's husband. And a dear friend of hers moved into our ward - newly - and happily remarried - and she was diagnosed with cancer and died within weeks.

She told me that one day she prayed and said, "Heavenly Father, STOP, ENOUGH!"

And she said, "It stopped. I couldn't deal with anymore. The Lord does answer prayers."

Mine experience was not so dramatic, but it has caused me much thought and reflection this past year.

And I miss seeing Pam.

No comments: