Monday, August 23, 2010

Little Bee - some thoughts


I have had this book on my shelf for over a year. I think I bought it at our Book Fair - I like to support the Clifton Middle School Library after all! And occasionally I thumbed through it thinking I should read it. The back cover reviews actually didn't entice me however, and I put off reading it. It was mentioned often, but I received conflicting reviews.

For lack of any other book that caught my interest, I picked it up and started reading. The story line was intriguing, and the writing was superb.

"They say that in the hour before an earthquake the clouds hang leaden in the sky, the wind slows to a hot breath, and the birds fall quiet in the trees of the town square. Yes, but these are the same portents that precede lunchtime, frankly. If we overreacted every time the wind eased up, we would forever be laying down under the dining-room table when we really should be laying the plates on top of it."

Several reviewers called it "funny," but it wasn't at all funny to me. Maybe some scenes were poignantly amusing at some moments, but I don't call that funny.

Another reviewer compared it to Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, and that seemed an apt comparison to me.

It is fast-paced, thoughtfully written, often disturbing, and ultimately a story of human triumph - however fleeting.

2 comments:

Eliza said...

I have heard a little about this book, more and more lately...guess I'll put it on my list. I loved Things Fall Apart.

grannybabs said...

I can certainly hand it off to Hannah for you.