Monday, August 09, 2010

The Dog Days of August


This is a photo from June - but I did go visit my mom on August 7th - which was also my Grandpa Stevens birthday!! (and Hannah Kerksiek's b-day too.) Just thought a I needed a photo.


I'm not sure where the phrase about the "dog days of August" comes from. And actually, so far, this August is warm but pleasant - certainly not "dog like."

Maybe it's because school will start at the end of this month. Summer vacation will be over. I stayed in bed this morning and finished a novel rather than getting up and being productive. I'm doing my best to thumb my nose at the inevitable necessity of going back to work.

And today the date is 8-9-10.

That's a nice touch.

6 comments:

hanner said...

well, in case you were curious (and i know you are) the phrase is usually "the dog days of summer" and is a reference to the star sirius (a dog). my professor JUST mentioned that last week. wikipedia adds that it is because the greeks believed that sirius' close proximity to the sun was to blame for the heat.

grannybabs said...

I knew someone would enlighten me!! Thanks - like most such items, there's a good reason there!!

Karen said...

Thanks to Hannah for the information.
I want a couple of days to stay in bed and read! And to not have to accomplish things.
This summer has just been one thing after another, and school will be here soon and we will be back in the swing of things. I'm already wondering why summer has to go by so fast.

I enjoy your sidebar on your blog.

grannybabs said...

That's the best thing about an empty nest and summer!! But my nest is often not empty in the summer time - it's a conundrum all right - the only time I have to myself - and to spend quality time with my grandkids is summer.

I'll the take the grandkids anytime!!

Fortunately, there are mornings when I have the day to myself - and I've learned to "leap when the iron is hot!!" (Or the day!!) (Yesterday was just such a day also!! Another novel finished!!)

Leslie said...

What are you reading?

grannybabs said...

Right now I'm reading Too Late the Phalorope - by Alan Paton - his writing style intrigues me, but it's not a page turner.

The books I stayed in bed reading were the trilogy In the Company of Good Women - a "Mormon" novel. Have you read them: Almost Sisters, 3 Tickets to Peoria, and Surprise Packages?