Friday, August 27, 2010

Where Nothing is Long Ago


The title of this post comes from the title of a rather interesting memoir by Virginia Sorenson - and it deserves a post all its own. But for now, I want to focus on something that "came" to me today as I drove home from Santa Fe Middle School. I'm sure that part of this stems from the fact that it was 31 years ago this month that we came here. And the weather and sky and school and the town just brings that all back.

Our start-of-school meeting was held at Santa Fe, and as I headed out on to Duarte Road to go home, I was thinking about Ida Smith and her recent death. That thought seemed to segue into thoughts about my first forays into the neighborhoods around Santa Fe's campus.

I was a Primary teacher - back in the day when Primary was held during the week. I was pretty gung-ho and wanted to do the job right, so I took treats to my kids - especially those who were less active. This meant poring over the Thomas Guide to figure out where they lived. And then loading up into that yellow Ford truck we were driving back then. (Dad was still in Utah I think. He didn't join us permanently until September.) Bonny, Harry, Phoebe, and I squeezed into the front - I don't think seat belts were the law then - and roamed about Monrovia looking for my little lost sheep.

Ida was a good friend to me as I adjusted to a move that I had initially been very opposed to. Sometimes I think about how negative I was. I was not very kind to Harry about it either. Everything was his fault. Every bad thing that happened would not have happened if we hadn't moved. I am not proud of my behavior. Sometimes I think I'm still trying to make up for it!

(You all know the story - about how I came to know that it was not only not a bad move, it was definitely the right move! Sometimes we have to trust in something and someone and move forward. But that too is another post.)

Others in the ward were kind to us. I had great, thoughtful, caring visiting teachers who visited every month. I had Jan Holmes for an Avon Lady - how can you go wrong with that?? Polly was our piano teacher - and she didn't just teach us music. Connie Heslop was our baby sitter - kind, quiet, gentle Connie - who didn't feel better around her? Brother Holling was our home teacher - and he came each month with a message and Eskimo Pies! The high priest group leadership was there to unload when we moved in - Aulvie Bourgeous, LaMar Heslop, Ted Elwell, Tom Smith, Bishop Neeley. I was Mildred Muir's secret sister and she became our special friend. Yvonne Jorgensen shared her doll collection with Bonny. Blanche Card was the nursery baby sitter during sacrament meeting. The first Sunday we attended was the confirmation of the Dequer twins. I could go on and on and name names that would send some of you on a trip down Memory Lane. But that will be another post also.

For now, I realize the meaning of Virginia Sorenson's title. The past is always with us; it doesn't take much to call it back.

And aren't you glad for that??

And aren't we all glad Dad felt impressed to move back to California? And aren't we all glad that Grandma Helen found us a rental house in Monrovia? And aren't we all glad that we've been able to stay in Monrovia and build happy memories here??

I am!

3 comments:

Karen said...

What year did you move back to CA? I know I am glad you did.

grannybabs said...

It was August 3, 1979!! I'm glad we did too!!

Dawn said...

Well, you certainly brought back memories for me, too, Barbara. Jenny told me that you had mentioned me in a post, so I looked it up. Thanks for the memories! All those people were dear to me, too. Sister Muir was my sunbeam teacher and I still remember how I loved her even though I was so young. I'm sad to hear that Ida Smith passed away. Is Tom still alive? I know I'm getting older, so the adults from my youth are even older.... I also recognize the house picture you posted. I remember visiting to play with Bonny, and Jenny played with Phoebe there, too.

I was baptized the day you arrived, Aug 3, 1979. So my confirmation was on Sunday, Aug 5. I'm impressed that you remember that!

Perhaps I'll eventually feel about our move to Iowa the way you do about your move to CA. I hope so. I had a very hard time moving here from Ohio (which we loved) and it was Randy's "fault" because this is where he got a job! We've been here four years now and I'm okay now. It's a good place in many ways and most of the time I'm happy enough. I know that the Lord has blessed us here. But the winters are still so harsh and we are so far away from family. I don't want to stay here forever. At this point in my life I really wish we could settle closer to family--at least within driving distance. My parents aren't getting younger and I want my kids to know them and their cousins better. I feel like I've missed so many years of precious time with my family. But it doesn't seem to be the Lord's plan for us to live close. So I have to be grateful for telephones and computers. Anyway, thanks for your post. :)