Monday, October 25, 2010

Halloween


Eliza posted about Halloween - and her supposed deficiencies as a Halloween afficionado. And it made me think about all the Halloweens over the years - there have been many, that is for sure!!

I grew up in a family where Halloween meant digging through the rag bag and coming up with either a gypsy costume or a hobo costume - depending on your gender. And if you were old enough, you dug around for an old pillowcase to bring in your trick or treating haul. Eyebrow pencil took care of the make up. And no one, absolutely no one, decorated their house for Halloween - except for Jack-o-lanterns. (A haul meant getting full-size candy bars - and trying to keep them away from my dad!)

With the advent of cheap, store-bought costumes, the get-ups changed a bit. This shot is from 1965, the year I stayed home fall semester to earn the money for Grenoble. The kids are Bobby, Leslie, Donna, and David. I think I did the honors with the eyebrow pencil. I think I took them trick or treating too. And can you find Richard, hiding in the picture??


Our children have usually been enthusiastic about dressing up. And some years I went to a lot of trouble making costumes. And for Bonny's kindergarten year, Dad made a beanbag toss wooden pumpkin that still gets used at ward Halloween parties.

But I remember one year when I made a charming gypsy costume for Bonny - she was three - and she let me dress her up and even take a photo - but she would have nothing to do with trick-or-treating - or even opening up the door for trick-or-treaters!!

Over the years, as decorating for Halloween became almost de rigeur, I was known for decorating the house. And I wore Halloween themed clothing too - and jewelry. I've toned that down over the years. I gave Halloween socks and kitchen towels as gifts. I sent - and send still - Halloween cards.

But I don't dress up - and really never have. I have a tee shirt that says, "This is my costume," and that's about it.

Dad used to dress up - and the two of us wore Julius Caesar costumes a couple of years ago - but no one could tell what we were - that was disappointing! Dad also has some famous Halloween moments - probably the most notable being the time he came as a housewife!!




Maybe you have a Halloween memory you'd like to share. But it's okay if you don't. And it's okay if you don't go to incredible lengths to outfit yourselves or your kids. And it's even okay if you are Halloween Scrooge.

Be sure to save me the candy corn and the circus peanuts though!!

7 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

i don't mind halloween. but i do get tired of it stretching over a week, instead of being one day of candy candy candy. ;)

fstephenson said...

Joan

Bonny I agree with you!!!!

Leslie said...

It has become a little tiresome. Barbara, I would love a copy of that picture. I have no memory of that at all.

Karen said...

I like halloween for the most part, but like Bonny, I get tired of it lasting forever. I also get tired of worrying about costumes (that is what I get for having so many kids!) I like it when the kids get old enough to put thought and work into their own costume.

Eliza said...

For the record, I don't suppose myself to be deficient in the area of Halloween. I'm just not that into it. As long as my kids are fine with that, so am I!

Phoebe said...

Halloween may be my favorite holiday.
Mom- I don't think that people even give out Circus Peanuts anymore.

grannybabs said...

Well, they are orange! And I don't think anyone ever gave them out. I just like having a big bag of my own!!