Saturday, January 28, 2012

Bedtime -

Harry and I are really big TV watchers. Our TV can not get turned on for weeks at a time. But lately we've been watching nightly episodes of Doc Martin, and that reminded me of all those past years when we'd be addicted to some show and watch it nightly.

We started watching St. Elsewhere when we moved to California. The TV was in our bedroom, and Harry often worked late hours. Or he was in bishopric meetings late. So I'd be in bed reading or watching a favorite show until he came home. And he'd get interested in it too. Lots better than the 11 o'clock news!! St. Elsewhere was on nightly, and somehow I got hooked on the storyline. It was fun the first time we went to Boston to see the actual St. Elizabeth's that the story is based on. I often wonder if I'd enjoy the episodes if I watched them now!


I suspect everyone has a time in their lives when they get or got hooked on M*A*S*H! What's not to love about M*A*S*H?? Seems like whenever we check into a hotel or motel, you can get an episode on the hotel TV!

The years in Centerville were marked by a love and devotion to Upstairs, Downstairs. Interestingly enough, I have watched episodes of this show since then, and they just don't have the draw for me anymore!! I guess they met a need at the time!

The Pallisers were Centerville-based also - I bought the whole set of the novels they were based on - and absolutely could not get into them. But I absolutely loved the show!! And wanted to name a daughter Glencora -after the heroine. Dad would have none of that!!

Perry Mason has always been a fave. And it's another one you can always get at a hotel!! Seems like it comes and goes in popularity.

And now we are hooked on Doc Martin!! Love the characters - and the brilliant lines they say to one another. We actually just get in bed and watch them on Harry's iPad! Maybe they are on TV - I will have to find out I suppose. But it's cozy the way we do it now. Give it a look-see - it's pretty entertaining!

Not sure what the next bedtime fad will be. When I had my knee surgery, we spent nights watching the DVD's of Hornblower - that was fun. Maybe it's just that we enjoy seeing a character more often than once a week - because I remember having favorite shows when I was a kid - and you had to be content with once a week - and a summer of re-runs!

The bonus of technology!!

2 comments:

hanner said...

i am happy to find out that i come by the tv habit honestly. robbie seems to be a bit surprised that i enjoy tv so much even though we didn't watch any tv growing up.

another show you guys might enjoy is bbc's "sherlock," which is on netflix streaming right now. it's a modern day version of, well, sherlock holmes.

grannybabs said...

Just noticed that I said we were big TV watchers - I meant to say we are "not big TV watchers!!" But you probably figured that out!!