Thursday, December 13, 2012

Some holiday thoughts -


Last year the house was in an uproar because of the water damage we had suffered and the subsequent remodeling that occurred.  We did not put up a tree.  We did not decorate much either - mainly poinsettias on the porch as I recall.

We traditionally don't do a lot of gifts at Christmas.  Harry and I gave up giving gifts to each other several years ago, so we just got some gifts for Noah - who's happy with just about anything you get him.  Individual families have their own celebrations, and we try to make a big deal out of birthdays for the grandkids - who draw names with their cousins for the holidays and seem to love that.

And the big Terrill celebration is on New Year's.  We go on a big bike ride, courtesy of Bruce's fine collection of vintage bikes.  We have breakfast at Clocker's Corners and watch the morning workouts.  We have snacks and tiny hats and talent shows and gift exchanges on New Year's Eve.  We break out last year's predictions and chortle plenty as we read them - and then write new ones for the coming year.  Everyone sleeps over for New Year's and there is usually a goodly amount of Plunkets to be had.  (should that be "there are a goodly amount?")

So when I suggested not getting a tree this year, there was a hue and cry and a general consensus that I was being Scrooge-like in my attitude.

So I have repented and gotten out some decorations.  Even hung Christmas towels in the bathroom and got holiday themed Kleenex boxes!

Of course the carols are in the cd player in the house and the car.

And I'm once again thinking I might get all my cards out before January - a feat I have never accomplished!!

But mostly I'm excited to think about seeing all our kids together.

I love our kids.

I love memories of other Christmas traditions - the Terrill Family Party at Helen's, the Pizza and Pinata party at Grandma Mary's, wrapped boxes of mac n' cheese and dry cereal, new pajamas and matching tee shirts, golden walnuts, toilet paper roll angels, and movies on Christmas afternoon.

"It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!!"


No comments: