Thursday, May 23, 2013

Long ago - and pretty far away!!


My friend Pattie posted this on Facebook.  I hadn't seen this photo ever - it was taken in June of 1966 - which makes it pretty old!!  It was taken in England somewhere - the tail end trip of our Study Abroad Program in Grenoble, France.

She had some others - I will post them in the future - as soon as I can remember the stories that go with them!!  A particular phenomenon I have noted is the fact that even with my journal from that trip, some experiences just don't jog my memory - I wrote the stories down, but even reading them - and in the case of a couple of the pictures - even seeing them - just doesn't jog a memory.

I'd be worried except it's something that I noted years ago when I was younger - reading my journal from my first year at BYU is kind of amazing - almost none of it rings familiar.  I'm no scientist, but I suspect that the thoughts and experiences I wrote about were not truly significant - and other more significant events have transpired since then to displace these older, actually insignificant memories.

I can remember asking my mom about her bridal and baby showers - way back when when I was a teen and young adult.  When she said she couldn't remember much about them, I was aghast.  Now I know that most bridal and baby showers are in and of themselves not very life-changing or significant - at least mine have not been.  They have been fun and appreciated - but their effect has not been life-changing.  Hence, they don't move to the front of the memory bank.

I can ask my mom lots of questions about her life - and those events and people that are of importance to her continue to fill the stories she tells me.

I just wonder how you know which things are going to end up being important??


1 comment:

Karen said...

It is interesting what we remember, what things end up being important.