Monday, May 27, 2013

"Ssttrriikke!!


We just got back from a weekend trip to visit Phoebe and family and to celebrate Henry's 12th birthday.  It was raining a lot today, so we had to do something indoors - and bowling was the unanimous choice!!

Bowling is not something I've done a lot of in my life - and I'm not sure why.  When I was in high school, we walked to the bowling alley two blocks away and had bowling for P.E.  It was like a 6 week unit or something, but it was a lot of fun.

It probably cost money - and that's probably why my family didn't do it as an activity.  Or maybe my mother thought the atmosphere in a bowling alley was not very good.  For whatever reason, I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I had been bowling after high school.

That is until a couple of summers ago when I discovered "kids bowl free" at the local bowling alleys around here.  When the grandchildren come in the summer, especially, there is only so much swimming that can be done.  And only so many jigsaw puzzles to put together.  And only so many movies you can stand to watch. 

But bowling!  They seem to never tire of it.  And even though bowling alleys can seem a little dim - at least they are not smoky anymore!! 

And the price is right!

During our session today, I wanted to capture Sullivan's absolute joy in bowling.  He cheered everyone - especially himself.  High fives were in abundance.  If only we could all find that much joy in anything!!

This was the best I could do - maybe you had to be there.  

But I was there - and it was great!  

I even got a strike!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love the joy little children get from things like that!