Monday, December 14, 2015

57, 58, 59!


Well, my quest to read 52 books in one year was certainly a successful one - I'm wondering if I can get 60 - which would mean 5 a month - somehow seems more impressive than one a week with some left over!!

I am mostly impressed that I've kept track!!  I have read a lot of books in my life - it would be interesting to have a list - but that's not going to happen!!  And I'm sure I've read some forgettable books that don't even deserve to be on a list.  But it's nice to meet a challenge - and book challenges seem to appeal to me.  A couple of years ago I vowed to not buy any physical books.  It happened but I sure bought a lot of Kindle books!!  This year I have tried to use the library more.  I love libraries but I often can't find what I'm looking for and it's just easier to get in on Kindle - because Kindle seems to have everything!!

Eliza referred to the above novel in a blog post - she said it was a kind of remake of House of Mirth - and I loved House of Mirth - in fact I love all things Edith Wharton - so I got it on Kindle of course!! 

Took me longer to read than usual - it really didn't "get" me right away.  But about half-way through the story gained momentum.  One night I could not sleep - I hate insomnia - but thanks to being able to read in the dark with a Kindle, I read - all night - like until 4:35 in the morning!!

I read a couple of reviews - after the fact - and I agree with one.  The reviewer said the House of Mirth comparison was not warranted - and it's been awhile since I read it so I will take her word for it - but she went on to find other aspects of the story that she felt had merit.  Good character development was one.  And a great eye for detail was another.  I really found myself in "another world!"  My big complaint was the "tidy" ending - I wonder why authors have such a hard time "wrapping up" a story.  

Depending on how you feel about Edith Wharton, you may or may not want to check this out.  As a cautionary tale, it has great merit - being sucked into a lifestyle you are not really suited for seems to be a prevalent mistake - and this tale seems bent on having the heroine suffer every indignity as she flounders in way over her head.

One reviewer felt that Evelyn was not a lovable or sympathetic main character, but I found myself feeling very sorry for her and wishing I could help her!!

No one ever does, but if you do or have read this, let me know what you think!



I found Salem Falls in a little free library on one of my morning walks.  I was up for some total escape fiction - and Jodi Picoult, who writes the same story every time, is good for escape if nothing else!!  It's pretty much just escape!

I did scout out the library one day and picked up a couple of Lisa See novels - they were better than I expected.  Dreams of Joy is a sequel to Shanghai Girls - I love getting my history from a well-told story - and that is what this is.

I  had no idea of the scope and detail of the Cultural Revolution in China and the role Mao played.  I also enjoyed the detail about Chinese life in the country.  It was not a waste of time!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

I actually haven't read "Everybody Rise," but Hannah has.

"The House of Mirth" is one of my very favorite books. Every time I read it, I cry at the end for poor Lily Bart!

grannybabs said...

I cry for poor Lily Bart too - did you talk about it in a blog post - or did Hannah? Somehow I got the message about it - like I said, it's a first novel and rather uneven - but she does channel Edith Wharton!