Wednesday, July 20, 2016


I am a pretty dyed-in-the-wool Anne Tyler fan, so when I saw a new book by her, I got it to read.  I did not even notice that it was part of the Hogarth Series - a series I know little about, but one that attempts to re-write Shakespeare in modern times and terms.

The story starts out slowly, and it is a little stilted - not the usual Anne Tyler style that I love so much.  But I persevered - it is summer after all, and I do need something to read with my lunch! And I was rewarded for my efforts - the story got better.  The premise always seemed strange, but that faded as other events came forward.

The characters of Aunt Thelma, Uncle Theron, and Uncle Barclay helped the story get some flavor and color.  And a strange plot twist sent it into the arena of "I don't know what's going on but I think I want to find out" and then it all ended just like you thought it would! (Like you thought it would if you were familiar with Taming of the Shrew that is!)

A good summer read - or fall read curled up on the couch with a fire going in case you have to wait that long!

Give it a try - you will probably be glad you did!

No comments: