Sunday, July 17, 2016

Latest read -


Chris Cleave wrote Little Bee - a book I enjoyed reading - and found thought-provoking and well-written.  So when I read that he had a new book out, I thought I'd give it a read!

It was a slow starter - I picked away at it for a couple of weeks or more before I really got engaged in the story line.  Not sure it that was the fault of the story, the writing, or me! But it did become compelling about halfway through, and I sat up late one night reading!

The story revolves around London and the beginning of the bombing siege there in World Wart II.  There is a sub-plot revolving around the treatment of blacks during the bombing - apparently a fairly large number of black minstrel performers had come to London just before the war and they were the victims of some racial persecution.

The main story revolves around Tom, Alistair, Mary, and to a lesser degree, Hilda, and their experiences and personal growth as they face the escalating pressures of war. Once it got going, the story was fast-paced, and was gripping at many points.

The afterward by the author was a great story in itself - I'd not recommend reading it first - save it for the end!!

A good story - war stories usually are!

No comments: