Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Month of Gratitude, day 19


These students are among the first students I had when I began teaching. I think I had only been teaching for 2 or 3 years.

The girl in the front was Lily Royalty - a lovely name. A cute girl - but one who didn't have the best home life and who never really found happiness. In fact, she found drugs - and her life was shortened as a result.

Her teachers at the high school tried to help her, but perhaps it was too late.

So why am I grateful? I am grateful because she seemed happy when she was in class with me. I am grateful that I apparently made a difference - at least for a short time - in her life.

I encountered many Lily's in my years of teaching. And I tried my best to help them. Some succeeded. Some didn't. 

But I am grateful for the chance to make a difference - even if only for a short time.


No comments: