Sunday, February 11, 2007

Teachers I have known - Chapter 1

I attended the Worldwide Leadership Training meeting Saturday. The focus was on teaching. Elder Holland led a great discussion on teaching. But I found myself pondering on President Monson's talk about great teachers in his life.

I started thinking about teachers who had made a difference in my life. I was surprised that the list was quite short. Maybe - and this is probably so - I have forgotten whole chunks of my earlier life!!

I hope it doesn't mean that I haven't had that many great teachers. (How else to explain who I am today!!??)

But more are from school than from church. In fact, I can't remember the name of one single Primary teacher!!

But the one Primary teacher I do remember, although not by name, actually didn't help me, rather she gave me an almost life-long complex about my ability to learn new things. Let me explain.

When I was in Primary, the older girls' class was called "Seagulls." In order to move on to "mutual" you had to make a piece of needlework - either knitting or crocheting. I couldn't seem to get the hang of either one of them. I did produce a pile of "chaining" which for the uninformed is how you start to crochet something. She let this "count" and I was moved on. She told me that some people just couldn't do certain things, and crocheting was something I just couldn't do.

I never learned to swim as a child, but when I was 14, my brother Charlie almost drowned at a Cub Scout activity. After that my mom took us all over to the public pool and signed us up for lessons. It's a little tough to learn to swim at 14 when the class is full of children much younger than you. I didn't do well. The teacher actually told me that maybe I was too old to learn. And I believed her. (And everyone who knows me knows that I'm not much of a swimmer.)

Then in high school, we had tennis in P.E., and I did badly. My teacher, Mrs. Lazurus, told me that some people just couldn't play tennis, and I must be one of them. I liked Mrs. Lazurus, and she once gave me some excellent advice that I have remembered my whole life. But her assertion in this case was probably not helpful. (And certainly everyone knows I'm not much of a tennis player.)

Many years later, a friend made some charming little crocheted Christmas tree ornaments, and I wanted to buy some from her. She said she'd show me how to make them - they were a cinch. I said, oh, I can't crochet. Well, I will teach you she said. You don't understand I said, I'm one of those people who can't learn to crochet. To this she asserted that there was no such thing as someone who couldn't learn to crochet - and she proceeded to teach me how!! (And I've been crocheting ever since!)

I guess you could say that she was an excellent teacher!! (Her name was Lorraine Gould.)

I thought I'd do one post of "Teachers I have known" but maybe this will be Chapter 1!

7 comments:

Eliza said...

Nice.

You're never too old to learn almost anything as long as you really want to learn. I taught lots of teenage kids to swim, and one of my favorite students was a 65-year-old lady who really couldn't swim very well at first. She wasn't going to join the Olympic team after my tutelage or anything, but she got confident enough to swim laps in freestyle, breaststroke, backstroke, and sidestroke.

It helped also that she was able to pay for private lessons and practice every day. She also worked out at the gym every day. I hope I'm that dedicated when I'm her age...and that I have that much time!

Phoebe said...

It seems like nowadays, a teacher would never say, "You just can't learn that."
I also taught a few older women to swim and it was harder for them, but I am fairly confident that now they won't drown, even of their breaststroke looks a little wonky.

HPT said...

For the "it's a small world" dept: We learned a few years ago that Mrs. Lazarus was in fact a very good friend and UCLA (PE Dept.) classmate of G-ma Terrill. I guess she was absent the day that Grandma learned to be positive with all students. More likely that Grandma has enjoyed sharing that gift her whole life, not just post-UCLA.

HPT said...

Hmmmm. This thing is calling me "Harry" now. Up to you all to guess which one: Big, Little or Littlist?

bonny with a Y said...

i remember mrs stokes (1st grade)being mean.

i LOVED mrs bott(2nd grade) - she was pretty choice she was.

grannybabs said...

I remember Mrs. Bott - I loved her!

Eliza said...

I can't think of any teachers I didn't like. I wasn't a fan of a few college professors but those were just personality clashes. I don't think anyone was ever very mean.

Oh, except Mr. Evans in high school. Not a fan of that one (he called me a dumb blonde. To my face!)