Friday, February 16, 2007

Teachers I have known - Chapter 2

After listening to Elder Monson last week, I realized that I couldn't remember the name of one Primary teacher I ever had! I remember loving Primary. But I can't even pull up a description!

I can, however, distinctly recall a Sunday School teacher I had when I was 12 or so.

Lydia Buck was a teacher by profession. She was tall and imposing - at least I remember her that way. She had black hair pulled back in a bun. And she usually wore a black dress.

She taught us the Old Testament I guess, because I remember memorizing the Ten Commandments . And our ward took a trip to Grauman's Chinese to see The Ten Commandments when it opened there.

If you memorized them, you got a gold-tone charm bracelet with charms for each commandment. I coveted that bracelet and worked hard to get it. And I wore it happily for years.

Her son was my age and was in our class. And I can't remember much about him. Her daughter Carol was two years older, and I wanted to be smart and funny like she was. She is still in Mom's ward - and she's still smart and funny. When I visit, I love to exchange banter with her.

Best of all, she reminds me of her mother.

And there a no pictures of her that I have.

2 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

i love that you COVETED the bracelet for memorizing the 10 commandments.

Eliza said...

Wondering to myself...would stealing the bracelet have been worse than coveting?

I guess so...maybe. But it's not like the 10 commandments are ranked or anything.