Friday, August 29, 2008

Goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite!


So, after spending a week putting Agnes down for naps twice a day, I started thinking about my own babies and their napping and sleeping lore. (We also have Harry and Dawn's kids here for the weekend while they are belatedly celebrating their 8th anniversary and we are having some more "sleeping experiences" - in fact, I'm not sure if Baby Harry is asleep, but I'm pretty sure Dad is - and Dad's holding him! That's how most sleep experiences are that involve Dad. In his defense, he has been working long hard days since we got back from Oregon!)

Bonny was a fussy baby her first few months - but was always a good sleeper! When she got older, she got up very early - we tried putting her to bed later, but she still got up very early, so I opted to have more time to myself in the evening, since it wasn't going to happen in the morning! But after awhile, Dad thought maybe she was hungry and that's what woke her up. She often stood by our bed and intoned, "I am an hungring girl."

So we started leaving her a little snack by her bed, (the bottom half of an old daybed of Helen's which was a great little bed by the way) usually a banana and a piece of bread. And we "spied" on her a few times - it was just as Dad had suspected - she sat up, ate her little snack, and then laid back - didn't fall back to sleep, but was content to rest for a bit longer.


Harry was not fussy at all - in fact, for the first few weeks of his life, Dad would say, "When do you think he will start crying?" He was a good sleeper too - but wanted to give up naps before I wanted him to - so we had a little routine that always worked: He had a small bear my mom had made for him and I would speak in a falsetto voice and say, "Oh, Harry, can I sleep with you. I'm so tired." And Harry would say, "Yes." And promptly lay back, after patting a spot on the bed for Bear to use - and he usually fell asleep.

I think he's still a pretty good sleeper!!


Phoebe had a habit of getting up after she was toilet trained - she'd walk the length of the house on Lime to get to our room and tell us it was too dark for her to find the bathroom! I started telling her, "Go tell Dad." And she did!! Then he'd say to me the next morning, "Boy, Phoebe's really been getting up a lot at night." (The irony here is that she walked right by both bathrooms to come tell us it was too dark to find the bathrooms.

So Dad made a little trail of night lights leading to the bathroom and that took care of that. She too was a good sleeper.


Eliza, shown here holding baby Maddy, was the first of our kids to sleep in a "real" crib. I worried that somehow she wouldn't do as well - I was convinced that rolling into the mesh of a portacrib was a very comfy way to sleep - but she did fine. She slept well as long as you followed a set routine. I think she's still that way! She loved stories and always wanted lots of them. She has the distinction of sleeping well the first 3 weeks - prompting me to think that I could just jump back into my old routine - and then at 3 weeks, "woke up" and acted more like a newborn!! But everyone thought I was all recuperated, so I had some long, solo days - at least the kids were all in school then!

The moral of this story - even if your baby is Wonder Baby, still act like an invalid for as long as you can!!


Hannah slept with casts and a Dr. Brown Splint - and did fine, in spite of all my worries. And her portacrib was in Harry's room - along with his aquarium - and it never failed to put her to sleep. All the time she lived under our roof, she fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow!

Noah was a good sleeper - although now he claims that he has trouble falling asleep at night - and says he's been that way his whole life. Maybe his whole teen/young adult life, but not his kid life!

He has the distinction of being present for many late - night- home from dates - activities - conversations I had with Bonny - I'd be up with him for a late night feeding and Bonny would come in - it was a good experience.

So now I guess I will go and wake up Dad - so he can go to bed! And hope that it doesn't wake up Baby Harry when I do so!!

1 comment:

Eliza said...

I do like set routines in most areas of life, although I sleep fine wherever I am and whatever time I go to bed. (except during early and late pregnancy.)

Also, I still like stories and want lots of them...

Really though, I remarked to Matt that Theo must have gotten that from me. You could read to that kid all afternoon and he would be totally fine with spending the day that way.